[gmx-users] question about OPLS-AA force field -required bond constraints

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Oct 10 18:27:18 CEST 2013

On 10/10/13 12:17 PM, Martin, Erik W wrote:

> Hi, I'm new to both Gromacs and OPLS.  I have always used CHARMM or AMBER
> before so am a bit confused about some idiosyncrasies.
>
> When I go to a production run on my system (a protein in a truncated
> octahedron box of Tip4 water) I have removed all constraints.  When I run
> grompp, I get an error telling me that a bond between a HG proton and OG
> oxygen of protein has an oscillation period of 9e-3 ps and is incompatible
> with my 1 fs time step.  I am used to being able to run a completely
> unconstrained simulation with a 1 fs time step… so I'm assuming this is a
> property of OPLS-AA?

No, it's not.  It's a property of the bonds.  Nearly all force fields (if not
all of them) constrain X-H bonds at minimum, to remove the fastest motions in
the system and allow for a longer time step.  Using dt on the same order as the
fastest frequencies leads to instability.  See manual section 6.7.

> Could someone please let me know what the bond constraint requirements are
> for OPLS-AA and GROMOS forcefields (I'm going to need to use that next).  I
> can't seem to find this information by searching but imagine its on a website
> somewhere?

Information like this should be in the primary literature for the parameter
sets.  I don't know of any sort of database online that tracks such things, and
moreover there are no absolute rules AFAIK.  I generally follow the methods of
the paper that derived the parameter set.  Unfortunately, sometimes they don't
say.  For Gromos96 53A5/53A6, validation simulations were carried out with all
bonds constrained.

Postdoctoral Fellow

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy