[gmx-users] DSSP installation on Ubuntu 12.10

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Oct 11 13:55:46 CEST 2013

On 10/11/13 1:34 AM, Mass wrote:
> Dear Mark,
> Thanks for your comments, I uninstalled my previous Gromacs version ( from Ubuntu software centre I just removed it) . and followed the dirty and quick installation on Gromacs website
>
> tar xfz gromacs-4.6.3.tar.gz
> cd gromacs-4.6.3
> mkdir build
> cd build
> cmake .. -DGMX_BUILD_OWN_FFTW=ON
> make
> sudo make install
> source /usr/local/gromacs/bin/GMXRC
> I have one question here, why when I run mdrun in my home directory it is telling me that Gromacs is not installed, but when I source it again and go to my home directory after that mdrun show Gromacs version-4.6.3. any comments on this? how can I call gromacs without sourcing every time

Configure your login scripts to do it for you.

> secondly when I do do_dssp
>
> do_dssp -f bLac_orig_md2.trr -s bLac_orig_md2.tpr -sc Secondary_Structure_analysis_original_dss.xvg -ssdump
>

> I am getting following error
>
> Program mdrun, VERSION 4.6.3
> Source code file: /home/mass/gromacs-4.6.3/src/gmxlib/gmxfio.c, line: 524
>
> Can not open file:
> topol.tpr

Whatever you typed above is not what you typed in the terminal (always copy and
paste!), because do_dssp is looking for topol.tpr, which is the default name for
-s.  If you do not specify a particular required input, all Gromacs programs
look for default names.

Postdoctoral Fellow

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy