[gmx-users] Re: Steered MD

Thomas Schlesier schlesi at uni-mainz.de
Mon Oct 14 10:38:31 CEST 2013

First of all, sorry for the late answer.

More generally it is said the the rupture force depends logarithmically
on the loading rate (velocity times spring constant). -> So the
rup.force should also depend logarithmically on the spring constant (in
the simple bell modell).
Think the reason, why most people vary the velocity is, it is easier. If
you change the spring constant you also change the fluctuations in the
force (higher constant -> higher fluctuations) and it becomes way more
difficult to determine a rupture force.

For the dependence of the spring constant comes one paper to my mind:

S. Izrailev, S. Stepaniants, M. Balsera, Y. Oono, and K. Schulten
Biophysical Journal Volume 72 April 1997 1568-1581
Molecular Dynamics Study of Unbinding of the Avidin-Biotin Complex

This might be a good starting point to find more recent publications on
this topic.

Hope this helps you.

Greetings
Thomas