[gmx-users] recalculating .trr from .xtc

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Oct 15 03:23:19 CEST 2013

On 10/14/13 7:56 PM, Leandro Bortot wrote:
> Dear GROMACS users,
>
>       Does anyone know how significant is the difference between the
> "original" .trr file from a simulation and a "recalculated" .trr from a
> whole system .xtc (mdrun -rerun traj.xtc -o traj.trr)?
>       I mean... do you know how big would be the error induced by this
> "recalculation" procedure?
>
>       I'm not interested in calculating autocorrelation functions. Most of
> my analysis are related to the atom positions over time and free energy
> calculations.

Position-related quantities should be impacted very little.  Given that you
can't acquire precision though, I see no point in even generating a .trr file -
the .xtc has the same information while occupying less disk space.

Postdoctoral Fellow

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601