[gmx-users] CHARMM-GUI to GROMACS

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Oct 22 00:51:57 CEST 2013

On 10/21/13 11:14 AM, Zhi Yue wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I built up my protein in lipid bilayer by CHARMM-GUI and now I want to do
> equilibration by GROMACS. I know GROMACS can build the system, but my
> subsequent production run must be conducted by CHARMM. I want to use
> GROMACS to do equilibration cuz it may take long to get it equilibrated.
> Now I get stuck in some problems.
>
> 1) I'm not quite sure about how to make conversion. I searched the archive
> of the forum. Someone recommended I split the pdb generated by CHARMM-GUI
> into different pdb files for protein, lipid, water and ions, and use
> pdb2gmx to convert them to gro files individually. Then combine those gro
> files and made *.top file manually. Someone also suggested I convert
> original pdb directly to gro. Which one is better?

Whichever one makes sense to you.  I prefer a "clean" approach where you deal
with one molecule at a time, but others do it differently.  There's really no
need to have pdb2gmx run through all the water, ions, etc. when really their
topologies can easily be handled with simple #include statements.

> 2) I tried both protocols. When I checked the robustness of my structure by
> grompp, problems came. As CHARMM-GUI uses TIP3P and it would be better to
> use TIPS3P with lipid (we have tested them with CHARMM36 force field), I'm
> not sure how to change water model. Another problem, the most troublesome,

You change the water model by #including the right topology, hence my approach
above.  The CHARMM27 distribution that is built into Gromacs uses tip3p.itp for
the "classic" model and tips3p.itp for the CHARMM-specific model.  Our lab
recently released a full CHARMM36 force field, with tip3p.itp containing both
models, toggled by using #ifdef blocks.

> is that all water molecules whose residue ID's after 9999 could not be
> properly designated (say waters 10000TIP to 10009TIP become 1000TIP which
> has 30 atoms). I don't know why it happened. Is there anything wrong with
> my converting logic in question 1)? I mean, I should not convert water or
> ions, should I?

The residue numbering is irrelevant, and is simply an outcome of PDB format,
which only allows for 5 digits in residue numbers.  It has no implications for
the soundness of the topology or the simulation.

> 3) CHARMM-GUI uses rectangular or hexagonal boxes but they are supported by
> GROMACS. I'm wondering whether there is any direct way to match the box
> type in GROMACS.

Both are supported natively.  See manual section 3.2 and figure 3.2.

Postdoctoral Fellow

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601