[gmx-users] cant find certain atomtypes from atomtype database

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Oct 24 14:28:22 CEST 2013

On 10/24/13 1:03 AM, JuYeon wrote:
> dear gromacs users
> im using gromacs to make CS2 MD programs i made pdb file (by converting mol file to pdb file) and rtp file for CS2this is what i made
> <pdb file>
> COMPND    UNNAMEDAUTHOR    GENERATED BY OPEN BABEL 2.3.2HETATM    1  C   LIG     1      19.882  -4.263  -0.027  1.00  0.00           C  HETATM    2  S   LIG     1      21.256  -5.103  -0.054  1.00  0.00           S  HETATM    3  S   LIG     1      18.508  -3.424   0.000  1.00  0.00           S  CONECT    1    2    3                                                 CONECT    2    1                                                      CONECT    3    1                                                      MASTER        0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0    3    0    3    0END
> <rtp file>
> [ LIG ]  [ atoms ]C   opls_77	0	0S1  opls_202	0	0S2  opls_202	0	0
>   [ bonds ]C  S1C  S2
> i attached rtp file to /usr/share/gromacs/top/oplsaa.ff/aminoacids.rtp andi added it to residuetypes.dat (which is in /usr/share/gromacs/top)then i wrote command pdb2gmx to make gro file but it failed
> Fatal error:Atom type opls_77 (residue LIG) not found in atomtype databaseFor more information and tips for troubleshooting, please check the GROMACSwebsite at http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Errors
> before i made rtp file, i checked atomtypes atp file which is in oplsaa.ff it says olps_77 is carbon(isobutene) and opls_202 is sulfides i dont know why gromacs cant find atom type opls_77

opls_77 does not exist.  opls_077 does.  The bigger problem is that you should
probably not be mixing OPLS-UA parameters (opls_077) with OPLS-AA (opls_202).  I
suspect a better model can be built from self-consistent parameters.

> also, to make rtp file how to give charge and charge group to each atoms?

Refer to the 2001 OPLS-AA paper for the details of the required QM calculations.
  The charge group is simple; the whole molecule (since it is only 3 atoms) can
be one group.

Postdoctoral Fellow

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy