[gmx-users] error in umbralla sampling step 6

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Oct 26 17:18:02 CEST 2013

On 10/26/13 10:45 AM, sunyeping wrote:
> Dear gromacs user,
> I am doing umbralla sampling on a protein-ligand system following the gromacs umbralla sampling turial. It seems that the first five steps go well, and I select 23 gro files as the starting configurations of adjacent umbrella sampling windows. However when I use grompp to generate tpr files for these individual configurations as following:
> grompp -f npt_umbrella.mdp -c conf86.gro -p topol.top -n index.ndx -o npt86.tprI get the following notes, warning and error information:NOTE 1 [file npt_umbrella.mdp]:
>    nstcomm < nstcalcenergy defeats the purpose of nstcalcenergy, setting
>    nstcomm to nstcalcenergy
> NOTE 2 [file npt_umbrella.mdp]:
>    leapfrog does not yet support Nose-Hoover chains, nhchainlength reset to 1

The notes are harmless.

> WARNING 1 [file npt_umbrella.mdp]:
>    You are generating velocities so I am assuming you are equilibrating a
>    system. You are using Parrinello-Rahman pressure coupling, but this can
>    be unstable for equilibration. If your system crashes, try equilibrating
>    first with Berendsen pressure coupling. If you are not equilibrating the
>    system, you can probably ignore this warning.

You should not use Nose-Hoover for your initial equilibration.  Heed what grompp
says.

> ...............Largest charge group radii for Van der Waals: 16.306, 16.297 nm
> Largest charge group radii for Coulomb:       16.306, 16.297 nm
>
> WARNING 2 [file npt_umbrella.mdp]:
>    The sum of the two largest charge group radii (32.603355) is larger than
>    rlist (1.400000)
> ....................Fatal error:
> Too many warnings (2), grompp terminated.
> If you are sure all warnings are harmless, use the -maxwarn option.
> Discussion
>   aout warring 2 on the mail-list points out that the error that cause
> warning 2 will impact the results and lead to artifacts. I cann't
> understand why the warning occurs here, because it didn't appear when I
> use grompp in the my previous steps.  Could you explain why it occur in this step? Will it really affect umbralla sampling? Can I use the -maxwarn option to ignore it?

Given the size of the cited charge group radii, you probably have a molecule
broken across PBC, which is not a real issue.  trjconv -pbc mol or -pbc whole
would confirm.  If trjconv processing causes the error to go away, that's all it
was.

Postdoctoral Fellow

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy