[gmx-users] g_hbond and g_rdf in vacuum

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Oct 28 11:00:43 CET 2013

On 10/28/13 3:30 AM, Santu Biswas wrote:
>>> "Not working" is too vague a symptom for anyone to guess what the
> problem
>>> is, sorry.
>>>
>>> Mark

>>> polypeptide(formed
> precision) using

>> number
>>> of
>>> atom
>> also

>>> Thanks Mark for your reply.
>>>

>>     Using the 500ps trajectory i want to calculate the number of hydrogen
>> bonds as a function of time in vacuum .For this calculation i
>>
>>>   have uesd
>>> g_hbond_d  -f  traj_0-500ps.trr  -s 500ps.tpr -n index.ndx -num
>>> hbond-num.xvg -dist dist.xvg -ang angle.xvg
>>

> With what groups? Can there be any hydrogen bonds between those groups?
>
> Is there a bug fixed in a version of g_hbond that isn't 2 years old? Did a
> shorter trajectory work because it took less time? Does doing only one of
> three analyses help things to work? You'd be much closer to a solution if
> you'd tried some simplifications and done some detective work already ;-)
>

>>> Programm was running .After 1 hour it was still running but there was no
>>> output.
>>>

>>      If I calculate the number of hydrogen bonds as a function of time in
>> water (no vacuum) using the same command line then there was  no problem.
>>
>>     Same problem when I used g_rdf in vacuum.The commad line I have used
>>     g_rdf_4.5.5 -f traj.trr -s 500ps.tpr -n index.ndx -o rdf.xvg and also
>> checked with -nopbc with the same command line.
>>

> RDF of what, in vacuum? What groups did you use?
>

>>     The programm is running but in the output file nothing is written.
>>     If I used g_rdf in water using the same command line there was no
>> problem.
>>

> OK - but does your analysis make sense in vacuum?
>
> Mark
>
> Thanks Mark for your reply
>

> In the index file I mentioned C=O oxygen atom and N-H hydrogen atom. Now I
> want to calculate the distance between O atom and N-H hydrogen atom using
> g_rdf in vacuum.
>

> Similarly using the same index file I want to calculate the number of
> hydrogen bonds as a function of time in vacuum using g_hbond.
> Yes there is a H bond between C=O oxygen atom of i-th residue and N-H
> hydrogen of i+4-th residue.
>   I also checked with shorter trajectory there is also same problem .
>
> Please let me know If there are any mistakes.

Does your system have a non-zero size?  That is, are all the box vectors a
somewhat reasonable value?  They are, of course, irrelevant for the simulation
(assuming pbc = no for in vacuo), but for analysis, you need a sensible box.  If
you don't, you can recenter the trajectory using trjconv -box -center.

Postdoctoral Fellow

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601