[gmx-users] mdrun cpt

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 22:11:15 CET 2013

On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 7:53 PM, Pavan Ghatty <pavan.gromacs at gmail.com>wrote:

> Mark,
>
> The problem with one .tpr file set for 100ns is that when job number (say)
> 4 hits the wall limit, it crashes and never gets a chance to submit the
> next job. So it's not really automated.

That's why I suggested -maxh, so you can have an orderly shutdown. (Though
if a job can get suspended, that won't always help, because mdrun can't
find out about the suspension...)

Now I could initiate job 5 before /mdrun/ in job 4's script and hold job 5
> till job 4 ends.

Sure - read your PBS docs and find the environment variable to read so that
job 4 knows its ID so it can submit job 5 with an afterok hold on job 4 on
it. But don't tell your sysadmins where I live. ;-) Seriously, if you live
on this edge, you could spam infinite jobs, which tends to get your account
cut off. That's why you want the afterok hold - you only want the next job
to start if the exit code from the first script correctly indicates that
mdrun exited correctly. Test carefully!

Mark

But the PBS queuing system is sometime weird and takes a