[gmx-users] How can I increase maximum number of pulling step for energy minimization?

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Oct 29 00:12:19 CET 2013

On 10/28/13 1:59 PM, Gwonchan Yoon wrote:
> Hi gromacs users:
>
> I use gromacs 4.5.6 for energy minimization with steepest descent method
> for ubiquitin pulling simulation with pulling step for applying
> displacement. For that simulation, I should repeat pulling and minimization
> process. I need 10^4 pulling step calculation to get fully unfolded
> structure, but the calculation stops at 503 pulling step with follow error
> message.
>

> =====
> Source code file: futil.c, line: 489
>
> File input/output error:
> abc.edr
> Sorry!  You were supposed to get help about:
>      mpi-abort
> But I couldn't open the help file:
>      /usr/local/share/openmpi/help-mpi-api.txt: Too many open files.  Sorry!
> =====
>

> I open the futil.c line: 489, and that line is as follows.
>

> =====
> gmx_file(buf);
> =====
>

> However, I cannot catch what should I change to that line.
> If you have any ideas, please let me know.

You shouldn't change the source to get around the error.  There's nothing really
that you can do there.

I/O errors happen when files cannot be read or written to, either because of
permission problems, full disk, file system glitches, simulation crashing, etc.

Postdoctoral Fellow

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601