[gmx-users] cool down problem

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Oct 31 13:31:21 CET 2013

On 10/31/13 8:25 AM, Riccardo Concu wrote:
> Dear all, I'm having some problems during the cool-down process after
> the NVT.
> I'm running the NVT process at a T of 500K for 3ns and everything is
> going well but when I cool down the system blows up. I am running the
> cool down for 100ps, I tried to run the process for longer time (500 ps)
> and decrease nstlist option up to 5 but it seems it doesn't work. The EM
> seems to be fine with very low forces:
> Potential Energy  = -3.1736706e+05
> Maximum force     =  2.6573439e+01 on atom 105
> Norm of force     =  3.1027287e-01
>
> The NVT is compiled with the following mdp:
> define      = -DPOSRES  ; position restrain the protein and ligand
> ; Run parameters
> integrator  = md        ; leap-frog integrator
> nsteps      = 1500000     ; 2 * 50000 = 100 ps
> dt          = 0.002     ; 2 fs
> ; Output control
> nstxout     = 10000       ; save coordinates every 0.2 ps
> nstvout     = 10000       ; save velocities every 0.2 ps
> nstenergy   = 10000       ; save energies every 0.2 ps
> nstlog      = 10000       ; update log file every 0.2 ps
> energygrps  = NAP NA WAT MET SI3 SI- I LI+ LI-
> ; Bond parameters
> continuation    = no            ; first dynamics run
> constraint_algorithm = lincs    ; holonomic constraints
> constraints     = all-bonds     ; all bonds (even heavy atom-H bonds)
> constrained
> lincs_iter      = 1             ; accuracy of LINCS
> lincs_order     = 4             ; also related to accuracy
> ; Neighborsearching
> vdwtype = cutoff
> ns_type     = grid      ; search neighboring grid cells
> nstlist     = 20         ; 10 fs
> rlist       = 1.0       ; short-range neighborlist cutoff (in nm)
> rcoulomb    = 1.0       ; short-range electrostatic cutoff (in nm)
> rvdw        = 1.0       ; short-range van der Waals cutoff (in nm)
> ; Electrostatics
> coulombtype     = PME       ; Particle Mesh Ewald for long-range
> electrostatics
> pme_order       = 4         ; cubic interpolation
> fourierspacing  = 0.16      ; grid spacing for FFT
> ; Temperature coupling
> tcoupl      = V-rescale                     ; modified Berendsen
> thermostat
> tc-grps     = NAP NA WAT MET SI3 SI- I LI+ LI-          ; two coupling
> groups - more accurate

Frankly, I'm amazed this was stable.  I can't imagine that any system justifies
this many individual thermostats.

<snip>

> Pcoupl                   = Parrinello-Rahman

I doubt that you want to try to use Parrinello-Rahman while simultaneously
decreasing the temperature.  Even for equilibration runs at stable temperature,
P-R is a poor choice.  I would suggest trying your cooling under NVT, or if you
absolutely need to do it under NPT, use Berendsen instead; it is much more
forgiving.

Postdoctoral Fellow

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy