[gmx-users] Regenerating tpr files

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Sep 5 12:05:07 CEST 2013

On 9/5/13 1:10 AM, Piduru Viswanath wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have run my MD till 13 ns extending it by 500 ps simulations. But while
> shifting the data from a system, accidentally I lost my tpr files. My
> backup contains trr files till 13 ns (i.e. all trr files) and tpr files
> till 6.5ns. How could I regenerate the tpr files now if I have to extend
> the simulation further? While using tpbconv I received an error which
> prompted me to use cpt file. But I don’t have cpt files, Is there a
> solution to this problem?

The bigger problem is the .cpt files; you can't extend the simulations without
them, at least not in the most rigorous way.  It's easy to re-generate a .tpr
file, just re-run grompp.  The state information for a continuation is taken
from a .cpt file, so that's the most important one for a restart.  If you've
lost those as well, then you won't have an exact continuation.  You can probably
continue from information in .trr and .edr files (i.e. the ancient way of
restarting/continuing a simulation), but it will not be exact.

Postdoctoral Fellow

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601