[gmx-users] intermittent changes in energy drift following simulation restarts in v4.6.1

Richard Broadbent richard.broadbent09 at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Sep 9 16:08:36 CEST 2013

Dear All,

I've been analysing a series of long (200 ns) NVE simulations  (md
integrator) on ~93'000 atom systems I ran the simulations in groups of 3
using the -multi option in gromacs v4.6.1 double precision.

Simulations were run with 1 OpenMP thread per MPI process

The simulations were restarted at regular intervals using the following
submission script:

FILE=4.6_P84_DIO_

module load fftw xe-gromacs/4.6.1

# Change to the direcotry that the job was submitted from
cd $PBS_O_WORKDIR

export NPROC=`qstat -f $PBS_JOBID | grep mppwidth | awk '{print $3}'`
export NTASK=`qstat -f $PBS_JOBID | grep mppnppn  | awk '{print $3}'`

aprun -n $NPROC -N $NTASK mdrun_mpi_d  -deffnm $FILE  -maxh 24 -multi 3
-npme 64 -append -cpi

###

The first simulation was run with the same script except the mdrun line was

aprun -n $NPROC -N $NTASK mdrun_mpi_d  -deffnm $FILE  -maxh 24 -multi 3
-npme 64

###

The simulations generally ran and restarted without trouble, however, in
several simulations the energy drift changed radically following the
restart.

in one simulation the simulation ran for 50 ns (including one restart)
with a drift of -141.6 +/- 0.1 kJ mol^-1 ns^1
it was restarted then had a drift of +104 +/- 1 kJ mol^-1 ns^1 for 15 ns
then was restarted and continued with a drift of -138 +/- 0.1 kJ mol^-1
ns^1 for a further 50~ns.

The other 2 simulations running in parallel with this calculation
through the -multi option did not experience a change in gradient.

the drifts were calculated by least squares analysis of the output from
the total energy data given by

echo "total" | g_energy_d -f ${FILE}${i}.edr -o total_${FILE}${i}.xvg
-xvg none

The simulation writes to the edr every 20 ps and the transition is
masked by the expected oscillations in energy due to the integrator on a
2~ns interval but the change in drift is clear when looking at a 4~ns
range centred on the restart.

The hardware used was of the same specification for all jobs (27 cray
XE6 nodes (9 nodes per simulation), 32 mpi processes per node)

The simulations use the verlet cut-off scheme
there are H-bond constraints enforced using lincs (order 6, iterations 2)

I can't think what would cause this change in the drift during a
restart. However, I have seen it in simulations run on both an AMD
system (cray XE6, AVX-FMA) and an intel system  (SGI-ice, SSE4.1).

I have some data generated using the same procedure using v4.5.5 and
v4.5.7 (different cut-off scheme) and the restarts in that system have
not caused any appreciable changes in the simulation.

Unfortunately I didn't save the checkpoint files used for the restart (I
will in the future). I'm going to try building a new input file from
just before the restart using the trr trajectory data.

Does anyone have any ideas of what might have caused this?

Has anyone seen similar effects?

Thanks,

Richard