[gmx-users] Re: grompp for minimization: note & warning

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Sep 17 13:34:58 CEST 2013

On 9/17/13 7:02 AM, shahab shariati wrote:
> Dear Justin
>
> Thanks for your reply
>

>> You're still working with outdated software.  Please follow my
>> suggestion of trying 4.6.3.
>
> I try to install 4.6.3.
>
>> The larger issue, in the end, is the unphysical configuration of the drug
>> in the membrane.  Independent of Gromacs version, that setup will
>> always fail.
>
> I did minimization in 2 other states:
>
> 1) without drug (only membrane: DOPC nad cholesterol).
>
> 2) with drug but, this time, I put drug into water molecules not into
> membrane.
>
> Then I did mdrun for both of states. In both of state, there are not
> following issues:
>
> Warning: 1-4 interaction between 434 and 407 at distance 3.023 which is
> larger than the 1-4 table size 2.200 nm These are ignored for the rest of
> the simulation This usually means your system is exploding,
>
> if not, you should increase table-extension in your mdp file
> or with user tables increase the table size
>
> step 23: Water molecule starting at atom 10613 can not be settled.
> Check for bad contacts and/or reduce the timestep if appropriate.
> Wrote pdb files with previous and current coordinates

> There are following outputs:
>
> for state 1)
> -------------
>
> Reading file em.tpr, VERSION 4.5.1 (single precision)
> Starting 4 threads
> Making 2D domain decomposition 1 x 2 x 2
>
> Steepest Descents:
>     Tolerance (Fmax)   =  1.00000e+03
>     Number of steps    =        50000
>
> Stepsize too small, or no change in energy.
> Converged to machine precision,
> but not to the requested precision Fmax < 1000
>
> Double precision normally gives you higher accuracy.
> You might need to increase your constraint accuracy, or turn
> off constraints alltogether (set constraints = none in mdp file)
>
> writing lowest energy coordinates.
>
> Steepest Descents converged to machine precision in 881 steps,
> but did not reach the requested Fmax < 1000.
> Potential Energy  =  2.1828770e+05
> Maximum force     =  1.3656898e+04 on atom 618
> Norm of force     =  5.1748779e+02

As I suggested before, visualize the output file and figure out what is around
atom 618 to cause such forces.

> for state 2)
> ----------------
>
> Reading file em.tpr, VERSION 4.5.1 (single precision)
> Starting 4 threads
> Making 2D domain decomposition 1 x 2 x 2
>
> Back Off! I just backed up em.trr to ./#em.trr.1#
>
> Back Off! I just backed up em.edr to ./#em.edr.1#
>
> Steepest Descents:
>     Tolerance (Fmax)   =  1.00000e+03
>     Number of steps    =        50000
>
> Stepsize too small, or no change in energy.
> Converged to machine precision,
> but not to the requested precision Fmax < 1000
>
> Double precision normally gives you higher accuracy.
> You might need to increase your constraint accuracy, or turn
> off constraints alltogether (set constraints = none in mdp file)
>
> writing lowest energy coordinates.
>
> Back Off! I just backed up em.gro to ./#em.gro.1#
>
> Steepest Descents converged to machine precision in 845 steps,
> but did not reach the requested Fmax < 1000.
> Potential Energy  =  1.9664772e+05
> Maximum force     =  1.0986521e+04 on atom 241
> Norm of force     =  4.4174323e+02

Same advice as above.

> When I see created gro file from minimization (em.gro), I see some dopc and
> cholesterol molecules were broken and they devided 2 or 3 parts. Input gro
> file (system.gro) has 1835 residues. Created gro file from minimization
> (em.gro) has 1835 residues. But when I load em.gro file in VMD, there are
> 1950 residues in graphical representation --> selections --> residues part.

What VMD thinks is a fragment, molecule, or residue is basically irrelevant.
It's guessing based on guessing connectivity.  Your topology is definitive; VMD
is not.

> Can I deduce my problem has not dependent to presence of drug?

There seem to be problems in both cases.  Solve the issue with the membrane first.

> Are there problem about my force field parameters or topology file ?
>
> I get force field parameters from lipid book (for dopc and cholesterol) and
> from prodrg server (for drug).

PRODRG generates notoriously bad parameters, particularly the charges.  See
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ci100335w.

Postdoctoral Fellow

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy