[gmx-users] A charge group moved too far between two domain decomposition steps

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Sep 17 13:37:21 CEST 2013

On 9/17/13 7:26 AM, mabbasi wrote:

> Dear All users
>

> used OPLS ff for my system
> After md production i get this error:
>
> Fatal error:
> A charge group moved too far between two domain decomposition steps
> This usually means that your system is not well equilibrated
>
> How to solve the problem ??

Start by taking mdrun's advice and referring to the Gromacs website, which has a
page describing most (if not all) of the common errors.  Surely you would have
found this:

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Errors#A_charge_group_moved_too_far_between_two_domain_decomposition_steps.

Beyond that, search the list archive, as these types of errors get posted and
solved daily.  Among those thousands of threads, I'm sure something will be useful.

If you still need help, we can't do anything but guess at the problem without:

1. a complete description of what your system is
2. any new molecules or parameters you may have introduced
3. your protocol for building, minimizing, and equilibrating the system (the
outcome of EM is particularly important)
4. your complete .mdp file for the run that crashes

Postdoctoral Fellow

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601