[gmx-users] MPI runs on a local computer

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 13:58:26 CEST 2013

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 2:48 PM, Xu, Jianqing <xuj at medimmune.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am learning the parallelization issues from the instructions on Gromacs website. I guess I got a rough understanding of MPI, thread-MPI, OpenMP. But I hope to get some advice about a correct way to run jobs.
>
> Say I have a local desktop having 16 cores. If I just want to run jobs on one computer or a single node (but multiple cores), I understand that I don't have to install and use OpenMPI, as Gromacs has its own thread-MPI included already and it should be good enough to run jobs on one machine. However, for some reasons, OpenMPI has already been installed on my machine, and I compiled Gromacs with it by using the flag: "-DGMX_MPI=ON". My questions are:
>

> 1.       Can I still use this executable (mdrun_mpi, built with OpenMPI library) to run multi-core jobs on my local desktop?

Yes

> Or the default Thread-MPI is actually a better option for a single computer or single node (but multi-cores) for whatever reasons?

Yes - lower overhead.

> 2.       Assuming I can still use this executable, let's say I want to use half of the cores (8 cores) on my machine to run a job,
>
> mpirun -np 8 mdrun_mpi -v -deffnm md
>
> a). Since I am not using all the cores, do I still need to "lock" the physical cores to use for better performance? Something like "-nt" for Thread-MPI? Or it is not necessary?

You will see improved performance if you set the thread affinity.
There is no advantage in allowing the threads to move.

> b). For running jobs on a local desktop, or single node having ...  say 16 cores, or even 64 cores, should I turn off the "separate PME nodes" (-npme 0)? Or it is better to leave as is?

Depends, but usually best to use separate PME nodes. Try g_tune_pme,
as Carsten suggests.

> 3.       If I want to run two different projects on my local desktop, say one project takes 8 cores, the other takes 4 cores (assuming I have enough memory), I just submit the jobs twice on my desktop:
>
> nohup mpirun -np 8 mdrun_mpi -v -deffnm md1 >& log1&
>
> nohup mpirun -np 4 mdrun_mpi -v -deffnm md2 >& log2 &
>
> Will this be acceptable ? Will two jobs be competing the resource and eventually affect the performance?

Depends how many cores you have. If you want to share a node between
mdruns, you should specify how many (real- or thread-) MPI ranks for
each run, and how many OpenMP threads per rank, arrange for one thread
per core, and use mdrun -pin and mdrun -pinoffset suitably. You should
expect near linear scaling of each job when you are doing it right -
but learn the behaviour of running one job per node first!

Mark