[gmx-users] Minimum distance periodic images, protein simulation

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Sep 21 04:37:45 CEST 2013

On 9/20/13 4:11 PM, Arun Sharma wrote:
> Hello,
> I ran a 100-ns long simulation of a small protein (trp-cage) at an elevated temperature. I analysed the distance between periodic images using
>
> g_mindist -f md-run-1-noPBC.xtc -s md-run-1.tpr -n index.ndx -od mindist.xvg -pi
>
> The output shows that there are situations when the closest distance between certain atoms is much lesser than 1 nm. Conventional wisdom says that if this happens the simulation results are questionable. Is this completely true? If this is indeed true, how would I ensure that this does not happen again?

Using a sufficiently large box (minimum solute-box distance at least equal to
the longest cutoff) is the general procedure.

> I have posted the output of g_mindist at http://postimg.org/image/bnc0ej3nb/

Some configurations definitely come very close, indicating several frames with
spurious forces throughout the duration of the trajectory.  I would be very
suspicious of the results.

Postdoctoral Fellow

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy