[gmx-users] confusion about implicint solvent

Szilárd Páll szilard.pall at cbr.su.se
Mon Sep 23 20:08:08 CEST 2013

Hi,

Admittedly, both the documentation on these features and the
communication on the known issues with these aspects of GROMACS has
been lacking.

Here's a brief summary/explanation:
- GROMACS 4.5: implicit solvent simulations possible using mdrun-gpu
which is essentially mdrun + OpenMM, hence it has some limitations,
most notably it can only run on a single GPU. The performance,
depending on setting, can be up to 10x higher than on the CPU.
- GROMACS 4.6: the native GPU acceleration does supports only explicit
solvent, mdrun + OpenMM is still available (exactly for implicit
solvent runs), but has been moved to the "contrib" section which means
that it is not fully supported. Moreover, OpenMM support - unless
somebody volunteers for maintenance of the mdrun-OpenMM interface -
will be dropped in the next release.

I can't comment much on the implicit solvent code on the CPU side
other than the fact that there have been issues which AFAIK limit the
parallelization to a rather small number of cores, hence the
achievable performance is also limited. I hope others can clarify this
aspect.

Cheers,
--
Szilárd