[gmx-users] script to convert the TIP3P water model into TIP4(P)/2005

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Sep 23 20:21:57 CEST 2013

On 9/23/13 10:23 AM, ABEL Stephane 175950 wrote:
> Hello Justin,
>
> Thank you for your response and your interest for my simulations ;) I am of course aware that the "primary" water model for the CHARMM is the TIP3(S)P model.
>
> Since, I am mainly interested to the water dynamic around DOPC molecules in the context of the different water/DOPC mesophases (not data available, I currently doing the tests ;)) and that it is known that the TIP4P/2005 water model (it is the model, I want to use) reproduces better the water dynamic and structure than the TIP3P water model, I would like to test if the TIP4P/2005 water can be used in simulation of membranes. I am not aware that somebody have already done the test.
>
> Finally, Justin, you are probably right here, the results will be probably not good as it is suggested by Pastor and MacKerell in their paper for TIP4P-EW water model [1], but I think that it is worth a test to confirm this in case of the TIP4P/2005. I am not the first one to ask this question in the context of simulations with the CHARMM force field (for protein, here [2]).
>
> [1] www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3133452/
> [2]  Nutt, D. R.; Smith, J. C. Molecular Dynamics Simulations of Proteins: Can the Explicit Water Model Be Varied? J. Chem. Theory Comput. 2007, 3, 1550–1560.

It sounds like you're on the right track, at least knowing that a considerable
amount of work has to be done to prove that the force field + water model
combination is sound.  Given that you're going to have to re-equilibrate the
water anyway, I don't see why you have to start with TIP3P and try to hack it
into becoming TIP4P; I would just strip the water and re-solvate.

Postdoctoral Fellow

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601