[gmx-users] confusion about implicint solvent

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 22:22:38 CEST 2013

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 8:08 PM, Szilárd Páll <szilard.pall at cbr.su.se> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Admittedly, both the documentation on these features and the
> communication on the known issues with these aspects of GROMACS has
> been lacking.
>
> Here's a brief summary/explanation:
> - GROMACS 4.5: implicit solvent simulations possible using mdrun-gpu
> which is essentially mdrun + OpenMM, hence it has some limitations,
> most notably it can only run on a single GPU. The performance,
> depending on setting, can be up to 10x higher than on the CPU.
> - GROMACS 4.6: the native GPU acceleration does supports only explicit
> solvent, mdrun + OpenMM is still available (exactly for implicit
> solvent runs), but has been moved to the "contrib" section which means
> that it is not fully supported. Moreover, OpenMM support - unless
> somebody volunteers for maintenance of the mdrun-OpenMM interface -
> will be dropped in the next release.
>
> I can't comment much on the implicit solvent code on the CPU side
> other than the fact that there have been issues which AFAIK limit the
> parallelization to a rather small number of cores, hence the
> achievable performance is also limited. I hope others can clarify this
> aspect.

IIRC the best 4.5 performance for CPU-only implicit solvent used
infinite cut-offs and SIMD acceleration. The SIMD is certainly broken
in 4.6 (and IIRC was explicitly disabled at some point after 4.6.3).
There is limited enthusiasm for fixing things (e.g. see parts of
http://redmine.gromacs.org/issues/1292) but nobody with the skills has
so far applied the time to do so. As always with an open-source
project, if you want something, be prepared to roll up your sleeves
and work, or hit your knees and pray! :-)

Mark