[gmx-users] "Illegal instruction" error from alchemical-gromacs.py

Michael Shirts mrshirts at gmail.com
Fri Sep 27 04:53:22 CEST 2013

Hi, Chris-

The best place to file this issue is the SimTK pymbar page, rather
than alchemistry.org, since it's a pymbar problem.

We have collaborators that may have updated the pymbar.py recently.
I'll try to get this stabilized in the very near future.

Testing quickly, my best guess is that it's not alchemical-gromacs.py
(latest version seems to work fine for me), but the pymbar
installation that is causing problems.  Give the illegal instruction
calculations, the helper C++ code is probably causing a problem;
perhaps it compiled using headers from the wrong version of numpy.

In most cases, the best way is to explicitly force it to use the pure
python. If you just delete the compiled _pymbar.so, then it will
default to pure Python.   It may be slower (5-10x) but it should still
finish in a minute or two.

I'm working on getting instructions for g_bar up there in
alchemistry.org as well, but there are some bugs in g_bar that I am
dealing with.