[gmx-users] Re: Re: calculating dihedral properties

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Sep 27 16:23:40 CEST 2013

On 9/27/13 8:18 AM, Anna Marabotti wrote:

> Dear Justin,
> sorry for the late answer and acknowledgements... Please see below my
> comments.
> Anna

> Anna Marabotti, Ph.D.
> Assistant Professor
> Department of Chemistry and Biology
> University of Salerno
> Via Giovanni Paolo II, 132
> 84084 Fisciano (SA)
> Italy
> Phone: +39 089 969583
> Fax: +39 089 969603
> E-mail: amarabotti at unisa.it
> Skype: annam1972
> Web page: http://www.unisa.it/docenti/annamarabotti/index
>
> "Indifference is the eighth deadly sin" (don Andrea Gallo)
>

>> Dear all,
>>
>> I would like to calculate how three dihedrals in my
>> protein are evolving during the simulation time, but I don't understand
>> which is the correct command to do.
>>
>> In particular, I would like to
>> know:
>>
>> - what is the value of a specified dihedral (in degrees)
>>
>> - if
>> this value changes during the time of simulation
>>
>> - what is the
>> probability distribution of this angle.
>>
>> In order to answer to these
>> questions, first, I created an index file with make_ndx, in which I set
>> the three dihedrals of my interest by selecting the atoms of the
>> dihedrals. Then I used the command G_ANGLE -F PROT.XTC -N PROT.NDX -TYPE
>> DIHEDRAL -OD PROT_DIHDIST.XVG -OV PROT_DIHAVER.XVG -OT
>> PROT_DIHTRANS4.XVG -OH PROT_TRHISTO.XVG -OC PROT_DIHCORR.XVG
>>
>> Then, I
>> had a look at the results, but I really don't understand them...in any
>> case, they are not what I was expected to find. I was expecting to find
>> somewhere a graph in which on the X axis I have the time, and on the Y
>> axis the oscillation of the angle around an average value, expressed in
>> degrees. Moreover, I was expecting to create a graph with a
>> Gaussian-like shape, indicating what is the most frequent value assumed
>> by this dihedral during my simulation. None of the resulting graphs
>> appear like that.
>>

>> It would be helpful to see images of what you've got, but I suspect it all comes
>> down to the fact that you're analyzing multiple dihedrals without using the -all
>> option.  Per the second paragraph of g_angle -h:
>>
>> "With option -ov, you can plot the average angle of a group of angles as a
>> function of time. With the -all option, the first graph is the average and
>> the rest are the individual angles."
>>
>> The -od output should give you the distribution, but I can't envision what you
>> got as output.
> I've tried to attach here the files with the images, but the message was
> filtered out. Please let me know how can I send you the
> images. Please take into account that with g_angle command I'm not

You need to upload images to public sharing sites and provide a URL.

> analysing multiple dihedrals (or at least, this is not what I'm intended
> to do): using the index file .ndx I "told" Gromacs to analyse a
> particular dihedral that I defined using a list of the four atoms
> composing it. Then, to analyse the three dihedrals of my interest, I
> launched three times the command g_angle, and every time I selected a
> different dihedral to analyse.

OK, that sounds a lot different from the initial report :)  Makes sense.

> In any case, I repeated the command using the -all flag as suggested,
> but nothing changed.

Can you please show us what this means?  A snippet of output here would be useful.

> Another strange thing is that the dihedral variation is still between
> two fixed values (-200 and 200) instead of 0-360 as I expected to be. Is
> this another possible bug or not?

No, that's not a bug.  Dihedrals can range equivalently from -180 to 180 or 0 to
360.  Given that (I believe) the code deals in terms of the cosine of angles,
the -180 to 180 range is intuitive.  You can easily perform a simple
transformation if you prefer that the values fall within the 0 to 360 range.

Postdoctoral Fellow

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601