[gmx-users] Water out of box? Negative Z-Coordinates

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Apr 1 00:24:57 CEST 2014

On 3/31/14, 6:12 PM, GtrAngus wrote:
> Justin Lemkul wrote
>> Well, what did you do to observe negative coordinates?  In principle, all
>> unit
>> cells in Gromacs have an origin at (0,0,0) and the way mdrun works you
>> should
>> only get positive coordinates, IIRC.  So the emergence of negative
>> coordinates
>> is a bit odd, but there's nothing wrong with it.
>

> I faced the problem while I made a sum over all dipolmoments. Every time I
> calculated it, the counter goes ++. The number varies for every loop so I
> made a if-loop with if(pos[i][ZZ] < 0) and a new counter counts the atoms
> with a negative Z-coordinate.
>

> Justin Lemkul wrote
>> Yes, assuming your box dimensions are invariant (i.e. NVT/NVE), but
>> trjconv
>> should handle this so you don't have to reinvent the wheel.
>
> Yes, it is NVT. I looks like you are familiar to trjconv ! :) I looked it up
> in the manual. Is this syntax correct for my problem?
>
>> trjconv -f traj.trr -pbc atom
>
> Or which one would you prefer?

You'll need whole molecules, otherwise your dipole moments will be junk.  Using
-pbc atom will put all the atoms in the box but will not guarantee they are
intact.  Probably -pbc mol or -pbc whole after -pbc atom would be better.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601
University of Maryland, Baltimore