[gmx-users] MD simulations on a remote workstation

Mirco Wahab mirco.wahab at chemie.tu-freiberg.de
Wed Apr 2 21:01:04 CEST 2014

On 02.04.2014 19:14, Amjad Farooq wrote:
> I am running Gromacs 5.0-beta on a remote workstation (next door) from my
> PC. The two machines are networked via 1-Gigabit PCI-E ethernet cards (on
> each machine) and a CAT-6 ethernet cable.
> My question is:
> Would my MD simulations benefit in terms of speed if I were to use
> 10-Gigabit PCI-E ethernet cards (they are damn expensive)? Is it worth my
> dime and time? How much would I gain in terms of speed? Halve the run time?
> Or even better?

If one of the machines is slow enough, a 100MBit
single link would probably suffice.

Otherwise ...

To make an informed guess gere, one would have to know
the detailed specifications of both machines involved
an the exact type of simulation (particle number, electro-
statics etc.) in question.

Regards

M.