[gmx-users] extended bonds

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Apr 2 22:22:38 CEST 2014

On 4/2/14, 2:31 PM, pratibha wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have done simulations of my protein in water-cosolvent system (random
> initial addition) at 450K. At the end I have used:
> trjconv -f *.xtc -s *.tpr -center -pbc whole -o new.xtc
> But when I view my trajectory in vmd, I can see extended intramolecular
> bonds between cosolvent molecules. This problem usually come when pbc is not

Your explanation is not clear.  If something is intramolecular, it by definition
is not between molecules, it is within one molecule.  Please clarify - are you
seeing distorted bonded geometry or bonds that appear to be between molecules.
If the latter, please see
http://www.gromacs.org/About_Gromacs/Related_Software/Visualization_Software#Topology_bonds_vs_Rendered_bonds
- bonds can't be created or broken during classical MD.  Most visualization
software tries to guess bonded geometry based on distances; sometimes it guesses
wrong.

> taken care off. But in my case I have used trjconv (as above) to account
> this. Is there something wrong in my simulations? I have never encountered
> such problem before at lower temperature of 300K.

If the problem truly is intramolecular, likely the topology is not fully stable
at elevated temperature.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601