[gmx-users] MD simulations on a remote workstation

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Apr 3 01:49:24 CEST 2014

On 4/2/14, 6:29 PM, Amjad Farooq wrote:
> Justin,
>
> I am trying to set up a single system image using PC as the master node and
> two workstations as slave nodes (essentially a supercompuer; more nodes
> will be added later), so that I can have everything together, instead of
> running my simulations individually on each workstation. But, all nodes
> will share the master hard disk. That is where all I/O will take place but
> processing will be split between different nodes.

OK, that's a very different situation than what you originally described, which
basically was "computer 1 needs to talk to computer 2."  It's much more
complicated than that :)

> The problem:
> The slaves nodes are being networked with the master node using 1-Gb
> ethernet cards.
>
> The Question:
> Is it worth upgrading to 10-Gb ethernet cards? How much improvement can I
> expect?

No.  If you want decent performance out of a cluster of any size, Infiniband is
the way to go.  Gb ethernet is generally not up to the task here.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601
University of Maryland, Baltimore