[gmx-users] all-bonds constraints

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Apr 3 14:08:24 CEST 2014

On 4/3/14, 6:20 AM, Juan Munoz-Garcia wrote:
> Dear GROMACS users,
>
> I’m quite new with GROMACS. I come from using AMBER for a long time and after
> doing quite a few GROMACS tutorials I’ve found in all of them that the
> variable “constraints" is set to “all-bonds” even during the production run.
> I’m quite surprised about this. My understanding as I learnt from AMBER is
> that due to the high frequency of motion of the bonds with H atoms (aprox 1
> fs timescale) those are fixed during the integration time step as this is
> longer (usually 2 fs) than the motion frequency. However, all other bonds are
> not fixed because their motions have larger timescales (of course this is a
> simplification) than the integration time step. I find that constraining all
> bonds is too “artificial” as the  bond length is supposed to be oscillating
> between the equilibrium values given by the force field. As this is a quite
> important difference compared to what I was used to in AMBER, I’d like you to
> please tell me why is it “constraints = all-bonds” generally used during the
> production run instead of “constraints = h-bonds” ?

A counterargument can be made that constraints are a better representation of
bonds, but that's a larger issue :)

Most of my tutorials constrain all bonds because it is common practice with
those force fields (and I personally believe the rigid representation to be a
better one); in practice, you need to treat the bonded interactions according to
what the force field requires.  For AMBER or CHARMM parameter sets, that usually
means "constraints = h-bonds" is more appropriate.  Just because a tutorial does
something doesn't mean it's generally applicable.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601
University of Maryland, Baltimore