[gmx-users] Gromacs 5 umbrella sampling

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Apr 4 00:06:45 CEST 2014

On 4/3/14, 4:06 PM, Andres Ortega wrote:
> Dear Gromacs User, i am trying to use US, with gromacs 5,
> I was trying to do a position umbrella sampling so this is my pull code,
> but i get an error about the pull-coord1-groups,
> there's no nome group0 and group1 , so how should i define this,

When reporting an error, please always copy and paste the full error message
from the terminal.  It's hard to diagnose what's going on without all the
information.

> or in pull-coord1-groups are the numbers of the groups in the index file?
> in the manual said that the first one should be 0 and the second one?

The manual doesn't say that.  It says the value "can be 0," which is actually
not what one would normally do.  The default group 0 in Gromacs is "System" and
thus you are relying on an absolute reference.

-Justin

> Could you explain to me this? thanks
>
> ; Pull code
> pull            = umbrella
> pull_geometry   = direction  ;
> pull_coord1_vec       = 0.0 0.0 1.0 ;
> pull_start      = yes       ; define initial COM distance > 0
> pull_coord1_init      = 0.0
> pull_ngroups    = 1
> pull_group0_name     = protein2pull
> pull_group1_name    = DOX
> pull_coord1_rate      = 0.0      ; 0.01 nm per ps = 10 nm per ns
> pull_coord1_k         = 800     ; kJ mol^-1 nm^-2

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601
University of Maryland, Baltimore