[gmx-users] atomtype c3 not found

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 15:59:00 CEST 2014

On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 1:48 PM, Monoj Mon Kalita <mon.123chem at gmail.com>wrote:

> > ------------------------------
> >
> > Message: 3
> > Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2014 12:50:21 +0200
> > From: Mark Abraham <mark.j.abraham at gmail.com>
> > To: Discussion list for GROMACS users <gmx-users at gromacs.org>
> > Cc: Discussion list for GROMACS users
> >         <gromacs.org_gmx-users at maillist.sys.kth.se>
> > Subject: Re: [gmx-users] atomtype c3 not found
> >
> > On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 11:22 AM, Monoj Mon Kalita <mon.123chem at gmail.com
> > >wrote:
> >
> > > Dear users
> > >
> > > I am trying to simulate a ligand and protein in POPC. I have calculated
> > the
> > > ligand paramteres using the generalized amber force field (GAFF)  and
> > now I
> > > am trying to simulate the ligand-protein system with amber99sb-ildn ff.
> > > have added the lines in the topology file like this
> > >

> > > ; Include forcefield parameters and compound atomtypes
> > > #include "amber99sb-ildn.ff/forcefield.itp"
> > > #include "ligand-non-bonded.itp"
> > >
> > > ; Include chain topologies
> > > #include "topol_Protein.itp"
> > >
> > > ; Include water topology
> > > #include "amber99sb-ildn.ff/spc.itp"
> > > ;Include ion parameters
> > > #include "amber99sb-ildn.ff/ions.itp"
> > >
> > > ;Include compoud
> > > #include "ligand.itp"
> > >
> > > [ system ]
> > > ; Name
> > > protein
> > >
> > > [ molecules ]
> > > Protein
> > > SOL
> > > MOL
> > >
> > > But the grompp is not reading the ligand parameters. It is showing the
> > > error 'atomtype c3 not found'.
> > >

> > That kinda means what it says. ligand-non-bonded.itp is supposed to be
> > doing that definition, so have a look inside it and decide who is not
> > matching who, and why.
> >
> > Mark
> >

> > Yes, I know that. But, my question was is there any other method to
> define
> these new atom types as they are not implemented in amber99sb-ild.ff of
> gromacs.

No, that's what you intended to ask. ;-) "Suggest... how to solve this
issue" actually asked us to guess what the real problem with atom
definition was.

> I tried to define them in ffnonbonded.itp file. Then that error
> doesn't appear, but after performing genion step I get a broken molecule,
> means gromacs ignores the connections of my ligand.

No, that means mdrun doesn't take pains to write confout.gro output with
molecules made whole with respect to PBC. trjconv will fix that, however.

Mark