[gmx-users] Energy minimization result problem

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Apr 11 14:33:19 CEST 2014

On 4/11/14, 7:47 AM, neha_bharty wrote:
> Hello
> I am new user of gromacs. I am using gromacs 4.6.3
> I wanted to minimize the energy of a protein. Before energy minimization the
> prockeck result for Ramachandran plot was 89% in allowed region but after
> energy minimization the result become worse i.e. 87%.
> I was performing energy minimization to refine the model. But the model
> become worse after that.

That's not a huge change, nor is energy minimization rigorous enough to fully
refine a model.  EM will probably optimize the side chains pretty well, but the
backbone may require actual MD simulation to sample better conformations.  The
changes that take place during EM are typically very small.

> I Model the protein using homology modeling and needed it for docking
>
> I am also doing it with different protein molecules but again the same
> problem occurs.
> I don't know that its normal or there is problem with my parameter or force
> field.
> I am also mentioning the detail of my energy minimization.
>
> The details are:
> Force Field Used: CHARMM27 all-atom force field
> Water Model: TIP3P

CHARMM36 may be a better option.  The recalibration of the CMAP terms could be
relevant here.  See http://mackerell.umaryland.edu/CHARMM_ff_params.html to
download the force field files.

-Justin

> em.mdp file is: