[gmx-users] Energy minimization result problem

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 12:47:04 CEST 2014

Hi,

Proteins do not have a single holy structure, nor is any given quantity of
MD going to find it, if it exists. Neither is there a single metric of
suitability - backbone strain as measured by Ramachandran plot deviations
could easily be the result of accommodating worse problems while stuck in a
local minimum. You can get zero deviations by unfolding the whole protein,
but that isn't going to tell you anything. Or the deviations could be good
things, because parts of your structure are atypical, but healthy.

Mark