[gmx-users] H-bond analysis

michael.b mbx0009 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 17 11:39:37 CEST 2014

hi,

I try to analyze H-bonds in an MD trajectory.
when i look at the definition of an H-bond used by g_hbond it appears
that only three atoms (acceptor, donor, hydrogen, ADH) are used
in the analysis performed by this program ... however, i would assume that
in fact 4 (or up to 6) atoms should be considered because the existence and
the strength of an H-bond not only depend on the A-D distance and
the ADH angle  but also on the orientation of the lone pairs of the
acceptor, and the latter are actually determined by the geometry of
the atom(s), call them X, the acceptor is covalently bound to, aren't they?

So, in short, my question is: is anybody aware of a tool that
can analyze the H-bonds in MD trajectories considering not only
A-D distance and ADH angle but also the position of X (basically
the dihedral DHAX) ?

thanks for any hints
cheers,
michael