[gmx-users] Conserved Energy in csvr NVT runs

Janos Daru janos.daru at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 17:04:09 CEST 2014

Dear Mark, Dear Users,

Thank you for the detailed and prompt answer!
I'm sorry I probably wasn't clear enough, and I didn't attach the full
input.  So I'll attach to avoid confusion.

>IIRC there is a conserved quantity written, but as you can see in Bussi's
>original paper, it has a t dependence. This has been discussed on this list
>before, if you search. tau-t probably affects the slope.

If you refer to the J. Chem. Phys. 126, 014101 (2007) paper, you will
exactly see there, what I wish to see in my simulation.
On Fig 2, they plotted the Conserved Quantity ($\widetilede{H}_{NVT}$) with
respect time for  a LJ system.
With 5 fs timestep they have nice flat, non-drifting oscillation.  I would
like to check the same quantity to set my timestep for a proper value on
the timescale I do my simultaion.

In my simulation, I printed  the "Conserved-En." by g_energy_d for the
timesteps:  0.5 fs , 0.25 and  0.1 fs when I applied  md-vv integrator (As
I have h-bond constraint, I think 1.0 fs should be OK, 0.5 -0.25 fs safe,
0.1 fs too careful ).
With comm-mode=none, integrator=md-vv I get in the two first case clear
drift and in case of 0.1 fs I get proper conservation.
I'm happy with that, but with constrained h-bond length I'm a bit
surprised, anyway in NVE I didn't need such small time step.

I also checked integrator=md, and it gives much smaller drift for any
timestep. See the attached drift graph for different timesteps and
integrators.

I got the hint from a friend, that I should use sd instead of md-vv or md
integrator.
If I do so, "Conserved-En" disappears from the options in g_energy_d. Total
energy remains nicely oscillating.

So the question now is: What is the proper integrator (and other settings)
to use, and which output energy type (if any) equals to
$\widetilede{H}_{NVT}$, defined by eq 15 in Giovanni's paper?

If the  $\widetilede{H}_{NVT}$ is printed as "Conserved-En", and md is the
proper integrator, is this small timestep (0.25-0.1 fs) a normal value for
bond constrained system?

>You haven't said, but I assume you have a dipeptide in vacuum, which I
>think should need angular if the action of the thermostat can add kinetic
>energy to the COM dof.

Yes, and sorry again to keep this information. I try to make non-periodic
simulation in vacuum.
To understand perfectly could you tell me how many degrees of freedom left
with  pbc=no option?
a) 3*N-Nconst-0  # I would use: comm-mode = none
b) 3*N-Nconst-3  # translation is not thermostated; I would use: comm-mode
= linear
c) 3*N-Nconst-6  # translation and rotation is not thermostated; I would
use: comm-mode = angular

(N=number of atoms, Nconst=number of constraints)
I have seen in other codes the c) option for initial velocity generation,
what is the case with gmx? What is the right option for comm-mode?

Any suggestion and comment concerting my input is greatly acknowledged!

Thank you in advance,

Janos