[gmx-users] Md simulation mdp options error

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Apr 18 14:00:44 CEST 2014

On 4/18/14, 4:57 AM, Ankita Naithani wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to run a simulation with the following optins in my production
> mdp file. Previously I have run the simulations with the production run
> parameters using V-rescale thermostat and berendsen barostat. But now
> recently I read in discussion that Justin had advised using
> Parinello-Rahman barostat as it would be much more suitable and provides
> adequate sampling. Also, I had to use the Verlet cut-off scheme because the
> cluster where I run my production simulation has updated gomacs to the
> recent version 4.6.5 which requires one to use the verlet scheme.

A few things to clarify:

1. Parrinello-Rahman is superior to Berendsen for production runs, not
necessarily equilibration.  In fact, P-R is often unstable during equilibration
(see below).

2. The Verlet scheme is *not* required in version 4.6.5.  It is the new default,
as the group scheme will eventually be phased out, but that is not the case at
the moment.

> [...]
> rvdw        = 1.4        ; short-range van der Waals cutoff (in nm)
> rlistlong    = 1.0        ; long-range neighborlist cutoff (in nm)
> cutoff-scheme   = Verlet
> ; Electrostatics
> coulombtype    = PME        ; Particle Mesh Ewald for long-range electrostat
> ics
> pme_order    = 4        ; cubic interpolation
> fourierspacing    = 0.16        ; grid spacing for FFT
> nstcomm = 10                    ; remove com every 10 steps
> ; Temperature coupling is on
> tcoupl        = V-rescale    ; modified Berendsen thermostat
> tc-grps        = Protein Non-Protein    ; two coupling groups - more
> accurate
> tau_t        = 0.1    0.1    ; time constant, in ps
> ref_t        = 318     318    ; reference temperature, one for each group,
> in
> ; Pressure coupling is off
> pcoupl          = Parrinello-Rahman             ; pressure coupling is on
> for NP
> pcoupltype    = isotropic    ; uniform scaling of box vectors
> tau_p           = 2.0                           ; time constant, in ps
> ref_p        = 1.0        ; reference pressure, in bar
> compressibility = 4.5e-5    ; isothermal compressibility of water, bar^-1
> ; Periodic boundary conditions
> pbc        = xyz        ; 3-D PBC
> ; Dispersion correction
> DispCorr    = EnerPres    ; account for cut-off vdW scheme
> ; Velocity generation
> gen_vel        = yes        ; Velocity generation is on
> gen_temp    = 318        ; reference temperature, for protein in K
>

> ERROR 1 [file md.mdp]:
>    With Verlet lists rcoulomb!=rvdw is not supported
>

> NOTE 1 [file md.mdp]:
>    With Verlet lists the optimal nstlist is >= 10, with GPUs >= 20. Note
>    that with the Verlet scheme, nstlist has no effect on the accuracy of
>    your simulation.
>

> NOTE 2 [file md.mdp]:
>    nstcomm < nstcalcenergy defeats the purpose of nstcalcenergy, setting
>    nstcomm to nstcalcenergy
>

> WARNING 1 [file md.mdp]:
>    You are generating velocities so I am assuming you are equilibrating a
>    system. You are using Parrinello-Rahman pressure coupling, but this can
>    be unstable for equilibration. If your system crashes, try equilibrating
>    first with Berendsen pressure coupling. If you are not equilibrating the
>    system, you can probably ignore this warning.
>

> Velocities were taken from a Maxwell distribution at 318 K
> Removing all charge groups because cutoff-scheme=Verlet
>
> There were 2 notes
>
> There was 1 warning

> Program grompp_d, VERSION 4.6.5
> Source code file:
> /home/y07/y07/gmx/4.6.5-phase1/source/src/kernel/grompp.c, line: 1610
>
> Fatal error:
> There was 1 error in input file(s)
>
> So, I guess, NOTES 1 and 2 are harmless and can be ignored, right?

Correct.  It's merely advisory information for rather low-level settings.

> Regarding error 1, I think I would have to change my rvdw to 1.0 and that
> should sort the problem out.

You should be setting your cutoffs based on what the force field requires.

> I wanted to get advice on the warning too, should I ignore and proceed? Or
> should I go back to berendsen as I have been using for my previous
> simulations. For NVT and NPT, I have used berendsen. As this is a very
> crucial simulation run, I just wanted to confirm since I have not had any
> previous experience with Parinello-Rahman so, any advice would surely help
> me.

If, as the title implies, this is a production simulation, you shouldn't be
re-generating velocities.  Doing so negates the purpose of prior equilibration
completely.  Using P-R with velocity generation is unstable, because the
velocities can push things in bad directions.  To preserve the previous
equilibration, you should be passing a .cpt file to grompp -t and setting
"gen_vel = no."

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601