[gmx-users] Md simulation mdp options error

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Apr 18 15:12:56 CEST 2014

On 4/18/14, 8:55 AM, Ankita Naithani wrote:
> Thank you Justin for your reply. Yes indeed this is a production run. So
> would the following mdp file be okay now?
>
> title        = production MD
> ; Run parameters
> integrator    = md        ; leap-frog algorithm
> nsteps        = 50000000    ; 0.002 * 50000000 = 100000 ps or 100 ns
> dt              = 0.002         ; 2 fs
> ; Output control
> nstxout        = 0        ; save coordinates every 2 ps
> nstvout        = 0        ; save velocities every 2 ps
> nstxtcout    = 1000        ; xtc compressed trajectory output every 5 ps
> nstenergy    = 1000            ; save energies every 5 ps
> nstlog        = 1000            ; update log file every 5 ps
> ; Bond parameters
> constraint_algorithm = lincs    ; holonomic constraints
> constraints    = all-bonds    ; all bonds (even heavy atom-H bonds)
> constraine
> lincs_iter    = 1        ; accuracy of LINCS
> lincs_order    = 4        ; also related to accuracy
> ; Neighborsearching
> ns_type        = grid        ; search neighboring grid cells
> nstlist        = 5        ; 25 fs
> rlist        = 1.0        ; short-range neighborlist cutoff (in nm)
> rcoulomb    = 1.0        ; short-range electrostatic cutoff (in nm)
> rvdw        = 1.0        ; short-range van der Waals cutoff (in nm)
> rlistlong    = 1.0        ; long-range neighborlist cutoff (in nm)
> cutoff-scheme   = Verlet
> ; Electrostatics
> coulombtype    = PME        ; Particle Mesh Ewald for long-range electrostat
> ics
> pme_order    = 4        ; cubic interpolation
> fourierspacing    = 0.16        ; grid spacing for FFT
> nstcomm = 10                    ; remove com every 10 steps
> ; Temperature coupling is on
> tcoupl        = V-rescale    ; modified Berendsen thermostat
> tc-grps        = Protein Non-Protein    ; two coupling groups - more
> accurate
> tau_t        = 0.1    0.1    ; time constant, in ps
> ref_t        = 318     318    ; reference temperature, one for each group,
> in
> ; Pressure coupling is off
> pcoupl          = Parrinello-Rahman             ; pressure coupling is on
> for NP
> pcoupltype    = isotropic    ; uniform scaling of box vectors
> tau_p           = 2.0                           ; time constant, in ps
> ref_p        = 1.0        ; reference pressure, in bar
> compressibility = 4.5e-5    ; isothermal compressibility of water, bar^-1
> ; Periodic boundary conditions
> pbc        = xyz        ; 3-D PBC
> ; Dispersion correction
> DispCorr    = EnerPres    ; account for cut-off vdW scheme
> ; Velocity generation
> gen_vel        = no        ; Velocity generation is off
> gen_temp    = 318        ; reference temperature, for protein in K
>

> grompp -f md.mdp -c npt.gro -p complex.top -o md.tpr?
>
> Could you please advice?

The grompp command is incorrect.  As I said before, if you want to preserve the
work of the previous equilibration, you need to pass the .cpt file from the
previous step with grompp -t.

Otherwise, provided the cutoffs are correct for your chosen force field, the
.mdp file looks reasonable.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601