[gmx-users] calculation speed of GROMACS and cut off parameters

mircial at sjtu.edu.cn mircial at sjtu.edu.cn
Mon Apr 21 23:48:13 CEST 2014

Hi everyone,

I am using GROMACS to simulate bilayers, and I am testing two sets of parameters at present. However, I found significant differences of simulation speed of these two parameters sets.
The mainly differences between these parameters are the cut off parameters or of the VDW and coulomb interactions, in the first parameter set, a cut off of 1.0 nm was used for both of the VDW and the coulomb interactions. In the second parameter set, a cut off 1.4 was used for the coulomb interactions, whereas a switch from 1.4 nm to 1.5 nm was used for the VDW parameters.  Under the first parameter set, my system could run about 20 ns per day, whereas for the second parameter set, my system only run 7-8 ns per day.  So I am wondering if this is only raised because of the cut off parameters? And is this a normal pheonomen?

I am listing the mdp file at the end of this email. Please note the only relevarent differences between these two parameter sets are the cut off differences.

With my best regards,
rxgu
the first parameter set:

title          = NPT Equilibration