[gmx-users] Protein in energygrp_excl is not an energy group

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Apr 22 17:58:33 CEST 2014

On 4/22/14, 9:12 AM, Rebeca García Fandiño wrote:
> Hi,
> I am trying to use g_membed to insert a protein into a membrane, and for that I am following the instructions indicated in the help-command.
> I am trying to create a .tpr file with the following options included in the .mdp file.
>   - integrator      = md
>   - energygrp       = Protein
>   - freezegrps      = Protein
>   - freezedim       = Y Y Y
>   - energygrp_excl  = Protein Protein
>
> When I try to generate this .tpr file:
>
> grompp -c all_solvated.gro -p topology.top -f prod.mdp -o membed.tpr -n index.ndx, I get this error:
>

> Fatal error:
> Protein in energygrp_excl is not an energy group
>
> My protein has 4 chains, but I have a group in index.ndx called Protein, so I don' t know which is the problem. Why is not grompp recognizing energygrp_excl  = Protein Protein???

Since "energygrp" is not a keyword ("energygrps" is what you want), then the
groups are not being defined.  There should be an error from grompp about the
unrecognized keyword "energygrp," though.  Maybe it doesn't get that far in the
processing since it bails out when trying to parse through the energygrp_excl.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601
University of Maryland, Baltimore