[gmx-users] QM/MM simulations

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Apr 24 16:56:08 CEST 2014

On 4/24/14, 9:34 AM, Iamkaant wrote:
> Dear Justin!
> I'm very sorry to waste your time, but I've got an issue with ORCA support
> in GROMACS and hope you can help me.
> I'm installing gromacs-4.6.5 on my Dell PowerEdge R720 machine running Suse
> 12.3 x64 ( 3.7.10-1.28-desktop core). Installed version of ORCA is
> orca_3_0_0_linux_x86-64.
> 0)Previos steps according to the  installation guide
> <http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Installation_Instructions>  .
> 1) cmake
> /*cmake .. -DGMX_MPI=ON -DGMX_QMMM_PROGRAM=ORCA
> -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/opt/GROMACS-ORCA/ -DGMX_DOUBLE=on
> -DFFTW_LIBRARY=/usr/lib64/libfftw3.so.3*/
>
> I get following output. CMake-output.txt
> <http://gromacs.5086.x6.nabble.com/file/n5016041/CMake-output.txt>
> Contents of CMakeCache file is here.  CMakeCache.txt
> <http://gromacs.5086.x6.nabble.com/file/n5016041/CMakeCache.txt>
> The GMX_QMMM_PROGRAM variable is properly set in CMakeCache.txt:
>
> /*# grep GMX_QMMM_PROGRAM CMakeCache.txt *
> GMX_QMMM_PROGRAM:STRING=ORCA
> //ADVANCED property for variable: GMX_QMMM_PROGRAM
>   GMX_QMMM_PROGRAM-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=0/
>
> and in src/config.h
>
> /*# grep "#define GMX_QMMM_ORCA" src/config.h *
> #define GMX_QMMM_ORCA/
>
> 2) make & make install, everything without errors.
> 3) I create .mdp-file with following QMMM parameters
>
> /QMMM                     = yes
> QMMM-grps                = QMatoms
> QMmethod                 = RHF
> QMbasis                  = 3-21G
> QMMMscheme               = normal
> QMcharge                 = 0
> QMmult                   = 1/
>
> and  .ORCAINFO file (as stated in ORCA manual)
>
> /# Optimization step in the Lennard-Jones and point charges field of the MM
> atoms
> ! QMMMOpt
> # file containing the Lennard Jones coefficients for the Lennard-Jones
> interaction
> #%LJCoefficients "temp.LJ"
> # file containing the point charges for the electrostatic interaction
> #%pointcharges "temp.pc"
> %geom
> # calculate the exact Hessian before the first optimization step
> Calc_Hess true
> # in case of a TS optimization the updated Hessian of the previous
> # TS optimization run is read instead of calculating a new one
> read_temp_Hess true
> end/
>
> Variables are set as follows: $BASENAME=topol (name of .tpr and .ORCAINFO
> files) and  $ORCA_PATH=/opt/orca_3_0_0_linux_x86-64
> I run
> //*opt/GROMACS-ORCA/bin/mdrun_mpi_d -v*/
> and get
>
> /...
> Back Off! I just backed up md.log to ./#md.log.8#
> Reading file topol.tpr, VERSION 4.6.5 (double precision)
> Using 1 MPI process
> QM/MM calculation requested.
> Layer 0
> nr of QM atoms 24
> QMlevel: RHF/3-21G
> [...]

My previous patch only addressed a missing #cmakedefine statement, but did not
solve the problem entirely.  Please note the commentary on
http://redmine.gromacs.org/issues/1286.

It's sort of a wonder that the code even compiled.  I got 4.6.2 to compile with
my patch to config.h.cmakein, but when trying again with the latest master
branch, compilation fails spectacularly with several errors in call_orca() and
init_orca().  So clearly, the code has problems.  I patched the existing master
branch to fix the compilation issues (please see
https://gerrit.gromacs.org/#/c/3395/), but that is certainly no guarantee that
the underlying code does anything sensible.  The fact that 4.6.5 compiles but
still triggers the fatal error is worrisome, but given that the development
branch acts as it should (i.e. chokes on incorrect code), there's not much point
troubleshooting 4.6.5.

If you want to continue debugging, please check out the latest git master and
apply the patch linked above.  It would be interesting to see if that has any
effect, but again, given the fairly obvious problems in the function calls,
you'll likely find more things to deal with.  The QM/MM interface is long
overdue for an overhaul, and I believe there is work being done on that, but the
code in the master branch should be considered a bit tenuous, at best.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601
University of Maryland, Baltimore