[gmx-users] QM/MM simulations

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Apr 25 17:05:08 CEST 2014

On 4/25/14, 10:58 AM, Iamkaant wrote:
> [...]
>
> NOTE 2 [file topol-.top, line 39]:
>    System has non-zero total charge: -1.000000
>    Total charge should normally be an integer. See
>    http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Floating_Point_Arithmetic
>    for discussion on how close it should be to an integer.
>

> Cleaning up constraints and constant bonded interactions with virtual sites
> Removing all charge groups because cutoff-scheme=Verlet
> Number of degrees of freedom in T-Coupling group rest is 86.00
> nr. of CONNBONDS present already: 23
> This run will generate roughly 5 Mb of data
>
> There were 2 notes
>
> Back Off! I just backed up topol.tpr to ./#topol.tpr.6#/
> /*/opt/GROMACS-ORCA1/bin/mdrun_mpi_d -v*
> GROMACS:    gmx mdrun, VERSION 5.1-dev-20140424-b335429 (double precision)
>
> GROMACS is written by:
> Emile Apol         Rossen Apostolov   Herman J.C. Berendsen Par Bjelkmar
> Aldert van Buuren  Rudi van Drunen    Anton Feenstra     Sebastian Fritsch
> Gerrit Groenhof    Christoph Junghans Peter Kasson       Carsten Kutzner
> Per Larsson        Justin A. Lemkul   Magnus Lundborg    Pieter Meulenhoff
> Erik Marklund      Teemu Murtola      Szilard Pall       Sander Pronk
> Roland Schulz      Alexey Shvetsov    Michael Shirts     Alfons Sijbers
> Peter Tieleman     Christian Wennberg Maarten Wolf
> and the project leaders:
> Mark Abraham, Berk Hess, Erik Lindahl, and David van der Spoel
>
> Copyright (c) 1991-2000, University of Groningen, The Netherlands.
> Copyright (c) 2001-2014, The GROMACS development team at
> Uppsala University, Stockholm University and
> the Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden.
> check out http://www.gromacs.org for more information.
>
> GROMACS is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
> under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License
> as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2.1
> of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
>
> GROMACS:      gmx mdrun, VERSION 5.1-dev-20140424-b335429 (double precision)
> Executable:   /opt/GROMACS-ORCA1/bin/gmx_mpi_d
> Library dir:  /opt/GROMACS-ORCA1/share/gromacs/top
> Command line:
>    mdrun_mpi_d -v
>

> Back Off! I just backed up md.log to ./#md.log.9#
> Reading file topol.tpr, VERSION 5.1-dev-20140424-b335429 (double precision)
> Using 1 MPI process
> Using 32 OpenMP threads
> QM/MM calculation requested.
> Layer 0
> nr of QM atoms 24
> QMlevel: RHF/3-21G
>
> Setting ORCA path to: /opt/orca_3_0_0_linux_x86-64...
> ORCA initialised...
>

> Steepest Descents:
>     Tolerance (Fmax)   =  1.00000e+02
>     Number of steps    =         1000
> Calling '/opt/orca_3_0_0_linux_x86-64/orca topol.inp >> topol.out'/
>
> ORCA is still running. If it is necessary, I can report on the results when
> the calculation converges (or provide any additional info), but it seems

Yes, please report back, regardless of whether the run succeeds or fails.  The
lack of feedback about the QM/MM interface is one of the reasons various things
are still broken.  If we don't know about problems, we can't fix them!

> One more question, is there any tutorial on GROMACS-ORCA QM/MM? I haven't
> found any.

If Google doesn't know about it, it doesn't exist.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601
University of Maryland, Baltimore