[gmx-users] MD simullations with Morse potential

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Apr 25 18:49:43 CEST 2014

On 4/25/14, 10:00 AM, fantasticqhl wrote:
> Dear All,
>

> I am trying to do a simulations with morse potential for bonds, I can do the
> minimization of the system, but I can not do the MD optimization without
> lincs constraints on bonds since using Morse potential with constraints is
> useless.
>
> The error was shown as "Segmentation fault (core dumped)" , I did not found
> some other information in the log file. The system was well minimized before
> doing md optimization. Here is my mdp file:
>
> ######################
> title           = OPLS Lysozyme NPT equilibration
> ;define          = -DPOSRES          ; position restrain the protein
> ; Run parameters
> integrator           = md                      ; leap-frog integrator
> nsteps               = 100000                ; 2 * 50000 = 100 ps
> dt                      = 0.0005                ; 2 fs
> ; Output control
> nstxout               = 2500            ; save coordinates every 0.2 ps
> nstvout                = 2500            ; save velocities every 0.2 ps
> nstenergy            = 2500          ; save energies every 0.2 ps
> nstlog                 = 2500             ; update log file every 0.2 ps
> ; Bond parameters
> continuation        = no                             ; Restarting after NVT
> ;constraint_algorithm = lincs                      ; holonomic constraints
> ;constraints         = all-bonds                     ; all bonds (even heavy
> atom-H bonds) constrained
> ;lincs_iter            = 1                              ; accuracy of LINCS
> ;lincs_order         = 4                               ; also related to
> accuracy
> ; Neighborsearching
> ns_type              = grid                           ; search neighboring
> grid cells
> nstlist                 = 5                             ; 10 fs
> rlist                    = 1.2                              ; short-range
> neighborlist cutoff (in nm)
> rcoulomb            = 1.2                           ; short-range
> electrostatic cutoff (in nm)
> rvdw                   = 1.2                          ; short-range van der
> Waals cutoff (in nm)
> ; Electrostatics
> coulombtype       = PME                                            ;
> Particle Mesh Ewald for long-range electrostatics
> pme_order          = 4                                           ; cubic
> interpolation
> fourierspacing     = 0.16                                       ; grid
> spacing for FFT
> ; Temperature coupling is on
> tcoupl               = V-rescale                                 ; modified
> Berendsen thermostat
> tc-grps              = Protein Non-Protein                               ;
> two coupling groups - more accurate
> tau_t                = 0.1   0.1
> [...]

The first problem I suspect is the use of the Parrinello-Rahman barostat while
generating velocities.  That combination often results in instability for any
system.  Try NVT equilibration before moving to NPT.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601
University of Maryland, Baltimore