[gmx-users] tabulated potentials - cutoff

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Apr 28 18:29:56 CEST 2014

On 4/28/14, 9:19 AM, Sabine Reisser wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using tabulated potentials to create a hole in a membrane. I define three
> groups: 2 dummy-atoms, all hydrophobic lipid chains, and rest. For the
> interactions between the dummy atoms and the hydrophobic chains I define an
> exclusively repulsive potential. All other interactions are defined normally
> (Coulomb, 6-12 LJ potentials). The 2 dummy atoms are placed on top and below the
> lipid bilayer, directly over each other. Then I use the pull code to pull the
> two dummy-atoms towards each other, thereby repelling the hydrophobic lipid
> chains and opening a pore.
>
> This works. But I couldn't figure out how the long range interactions are
> treated. I assumed only interactions are counted where the distance between
> atoms is within the range defined in my tables. However, I do define a cutoff
> radius max(rcoulomb, rvdw), I will call it rcutoff now. In the tables, I have to
> define values up to rcutoff+1.
> Is this cutoff radius only to tell GROMACS to expect values up to rcutoff+1? So
> everything until rcutoff+1 is calculated explicitly after the tables and
> everything beyond is ignored?
>
> I'm asking because usually membranes are quite sensitive to these cutoff values.
> I would assume that I would see clear changes in e.g. the area per lipid if I
> simulated long enough.

The nonbonded cutoff is whatever you set it to in the .mdp file.  The
table-extension value is for bookkeeping and neighbor searching purposes.  It
doesn't change the way the short-range forces are calculated.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601
University of Maryland, Baltimore