[gmx-users] .itp file of choline molecule

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun Dec 7 14:18:08 CET 2014

On 12/7/14 3:48 AM, soumadwip ghosh wrote:
> [...]
>
> [ atoms ]
> ;   nr       type  resnr residue  atom   cgnr     charge       mass  typeB
>     chargeB      massB
> ; residue   0 CHO rtp CHO  q +1.0
>       1        OH1      0    CHO     O6      1      -0.66     15.999   ;
> qtot -0.66
>       2          H      0    CHO    H14      2       0.31      1.008   ;
> qtot -0.35
>       3       CTL2      0    CHO     C4      3        0.3     12.011   ;
> qtot -0.05
>       4       CTL2      0    CHO     C5      4        0.3     12.011   ;
> qtot 0.25
>       5        NH3      0    CHO     N1      5       -0.3     14.007   ;
> qtot -0.05
>       6       CTL5      0    CHO     C8      6       0.35     12.011   ;
> qtot 0.3
>       7       CTL5      0    CHO     C7      7       0.35     12.011   ;
> qtot 0.65
>       8       CTL5      0    CHO     C6      8       0.35     12.011   ;
> qtot 1
>
> [ bonds ]
> ;  ai    aj funct            c0            c1            c2            c3
>      1     2     1
>      1     3     1
>      3     4     1
>      4     5     1
>      5     6     1
>      5     7     1
>      5     8     1
>
> [ pairs ]
> ;  ai    aj funct            c0            c1            c2            c3
>      1     5     1
>      2     4     1
>      3     6     1
>      3     7     1
>      3     8     1
>
> [ angles ]
> ;  ai    aj    ak funct            c0            c1            c2
>   c3
>      2     1     3     5
>      1     3     4     5
>      3     4     5     5
>      4     5     6     5
>      4     5     7     5
>      4     5     8     5
>      6     5     7     5
>      6     5     8     5
>      7     5     8     5
>
> [ dihedrals ]
> ;  ai    aj    ak    al funct            c0            c1            c2
>         c3            c4            c5
>      2     1     3     4     9
>      1     3     4     5     9
>      3     4     5     6     9
>      3     4     5     7     9
>      3     4     5     8     9
>
> ; Include Position restraint file
> #ifdef POSRES
> #include "posrecholine.itp"
> #endif
>
> Now when I include this itp file to the DNA.pdb upto ci and nmol part there
> is no problem and I can insert the desired no. of choline molecules in the
> system. But when I am calling grompp for the first time, it shows errors
> like
>
> too few parameters in the cholineua.itp files,

Don't use this hacked topology.  It is incorrect to try to make a united-atom
topology in this way.  Choline is well defined as an all-atom entity in the
CHARMM force fields and it is already a part of the force field port we create
for Gromacs:

http://mackerell.umaryland.edu/charmm_ff.shtml#gromacs

This version of choline is the model compound used by CGenFF, so you should
change the atom types back to the CHARMM36 lipid force field by obtaining the
CHARMM force field files:

http://mackerell.umaryland.edu/charmm_ff.shtml#charmm

(see stream/toppar_all36_lipid_model.str) and modifying the atom types accordingly.

-Justin

> Is this because the c0 c1 c2 parameters are not there in my .itp file? If
> this is the case, then this .itp file can't be used. So I looked for
> Paramchem and Swissparam topology builder which is compatible with CHARMM.
> They are known to provide accurate topology parameters. But I dont know how
> to use them. The Paramchem requires a .mol2 version of input. But I have
> this PDB which is not generating any .str file from Paramchem. There are
> certain problem with my university internet connections and all the time I
> am not getting connected with these sites. Can anybody provide me a .itp
> file for choline molecule which can be used in CHARMM? It may/may not be
> based on the pdb file which I am using. I am having difficulties in network
> connections and I need this correct choline.itp urgently so that I can
> proceed with my project. Alternatively how to tackle the error which I
> mentioned while executing GROMPP ? Any kind of help will be hugely
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks for your time in advance.
> Regards,
> Soumadwip Ghosh