[gmx-users] Basic GROMACS questions

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Dec 8 20:21:51 CET 2014

On 12/8/14 10:47 AM, Simone Bolognini wrote:
> Thank you Justin. Your answer was very helpful. Since I tries like 3-4
> GROMACS tutorials I wanted to try to simulate dynamics with my own
> parameters. I'm trying to simulate the chicken prion protein fragment 1U3M
> using gromos53a6 as force field. I followed the typical protocol for
> dynamics (vacuum minimization, addition of solvent and neutralization, in
> solvent minimization, position restrained dynamics and production). Here
> are my .mdp files for the various tasks:
>
> ;VACUUM MINIMIZATION
> define = -DFLEXIBLE
> integrator         = cg
> emtol = 50
> nstcgsteep = 1000
> nsteps = -1
>
> nstenergy = 1
> energygrps = System
>
> nstlist = 1
> nstype = simple
> pbc = no
>
> coulombtype = cut-off
> vdwtype = cut-off
> rvdw = 1
> rlist = 1
> rcoulomb = 1
>
> actually I could have used PME electrostatics with pbc here
> emtol is set in such a way that convergence is really reached (I tried with
> different values and looked at the convergence of the potential energy)

I don't know why you want to have PME and PBC in vacuum.  There's no point.  In
vacuo minimization can also be dangerous in some cases, when the identified
minimum has become unphysical...

> [...]
> pbc = xyz
>
> coulombtype = PME
> vdwtype = cut-off
> rvdw = 1
> rlist = 1
> rcoulomb = 1
> fourierspacing = 0.15
> pme-order = 4
> ewald-rtol = 1e-5
> optimize-fft = yes
>

> ;PRD
> define = -DPOSRES
> constraints     = all-bonds
> constraint_algorithm = LINCS
>
> integrator = md-vv-avek
> dt = 0.002
> nsteps = 50000
> nstcomm = 10
>
> nstenergy = 10
> nstxout = 500
> nstxtcout      = 500
> nstvout = 5000
> nstfout = 0
> nstlog = 10
>
> nstlist = 10
> nstype = grid
> pbc = xyz
>
> coulombtype = PME
> vdwtype = cut-off
> rvdw = 1.
> rlist = 1.
> rcoulomb = 1.
> fourierspacing = 0.16
> pme-order = 4
> ewald-rtol = 1e-5
> optimize-fft = yes
>
> tcoupl       = Berendsen
> tau_t       = 0.5  0.5
> tc_grps       = protein non-protein
> ref_t       = 300 300
> nsttcouple = 1
>
> pcoupl = Berendsen
> pcoupltype = isotropic
> tau_p = 1.0
> compressibility = 4.5e-5
> ref_p = 1.0
> refcoord_scaling = all
> nstpcouple = 1
>
> gen_vel = yes
> gen_temp = 300
> gen_seed = -1
>

> ;PRODUCTION
> constraints     = all-bonds
> constraint_algorithm = lincs
> lincs_iter = 1
> lincs_order = 4
>
> integrator = md-vv-avek
> dt       = 0.002
> nsteps = 500000
> nstcomm = 10
>
> nstenergy = 10
> nstxout = 1000
> nstxtcout = 1000
> nstvout = 1000
> nstlog = 1000
>
> nstlist = 5
> nstype = grid
> pbc = xyz
>
> coulombtype = PME
> vdwtype       = cut-off
> rvdw = 1.0
> rlist = 1.0
> rcoulomb = 1.0
> fourierspacing = 0.16
> pme-order = 4
> ewald-rtol = 1e-5
> optimize-fft = yes
>
> tcoupl       = nose-hoover  ; nose-hoover extended ensamble
> tau_t       = 0.5 0.5   ; relaxation-time

Note that a plain 1.0 nm cutoff is incorrect for Gromos96 force fields.  A
0.9/1.4 twin-range setup is how the force field was parametrized.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore