[gmx-users] Question about GPU acceleration in GROMACS 5

Tomy van Batis tomyvanbatis at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 15:48:02 CET 2014

Hi Mark

Thanks for your detailed reposponce.

I still don't see the reason for the GPU loading to be only around 50%, but
also why does this number increases with increasing CPU cores.

For example, when using 1 CPU (-ntomp 1 i nthe mdrun) , the GPU loading is
only about 25-30%, although with 4 CPU cores the GPU loading is 55%.

Considering that the work done on the GPU takes a lot longer that the one
on the CPU, I believe the GPU loading should not change when changing the
number of openmp threads. Is this correct or do I miss something here?

Addtionally, I don't really see the reason that the GPU is not loaded 100%.
Is this because of the system size?

Tommy

*Hi,*