[gmx-users] Problems with CO2-water simulation

sujithkakkat . sujithks58 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 09:49:13 CET 2014

Dear all,

        There is something which I missed to include, which I think is
adding to the confusion regarding the positive energy values.

The OPLSAA topology of methane which is available in Dr Justin Lemkul's
Gromacs tutorial (
http://www.bevanlab.biochem.vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin/gmx-tutorials/free_energy/02_topology.html)
 , when simulated with TIP4P water gave negative energy values. Whereas,
the OPLSAA model of CO2 which is available in the same tutorial  (
http://www.bevanlab.biochem.vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin/gmx-tutorials/vsites/Files/topol.top)
, when simulated in TIP4P water gave highly positive potential energy
values just like the EPM2 model which I am using for CO2 in my simulations.

       This is very confusing since I believe CO2 (even as a CO2 molecule
rather than the carbonic acid form) would find itself more comfortable in
water compared to the CH4 molecule. But the energy values shows the
opposite.

     I found an example of CO2-water simulation in*
http://verahill.blogspot.in/2012/01/gromacs-carbon-dioxide-in-water-example.html
<http://verahill.blogspot.in/2012/01/gromacs-carbon-dioxide-in-water-example.html>
* , which when followed gave negative energy values. But I seriously doubt
the Lennard Jones parameters used of CO2 (eg; C6 and C12 for CO2 carbon are
assigned the values *2.5438e-1*  and *2.0478e-4)* , which the OP claims to
have obtained from *http://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/jp062723w
<http://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/jp062723w>*  . I think that the C6
and C12 values were not calculated correctly since they do not agree with
the sigma and epsilon values given in the reference article.

      Kindly give your comments.

Regards,

Sujith.