[gmx-users] Trouble balancing GPU/CPU force calculation load, ratio = 0.09

Jason Hill jason.hill at zoologi.su.se
Mon Dec 15 16:30:06 CET 2014

Hi Carsten,

Thank you for the advice. Using that as a starting point I think I now understand the Thread-MPI / OpenMP system a little better. Since my server does have 4 CPU sockets, 8 cores/socket, and 2 threads/core, -ntmpi 4 therefore designates 1 MPI-thread per socket, and 16 open MP threads per MPI-thread, does that sound right? Doing this doubles my simulation speed and I no longer get the warner of the GPU being so drastically underused. Now, as I monitor the run I see that GROMACS is still only using between 8-12 full time CPU threads, any idea why that is and if I can increase that?

Best,
Jason