[gmx-users] compiling for xeon phi

Johnny Lu johnny.lu128 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 15:24:37 CET 2014

Hi. How to compile double precision gromacs for xeon phi? (is that
possible?)

Do I need to use intel compiler, or gnu c/c++ is fine?

Is the xeon phi code of gromacs 5.0.4 very different from the xeon phi code
of gromacs 4.6.7?

In the cmake command, do i have to change
"-DCMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_FILE=Platform/XeonPhi"
according to the "platform" that I am using?

Thanks again.

Below is my attempt at building gromacs 4.6.7 for xeon phi.

export CC=icc
export CXX=icpc

cmake .. -DCMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_FILE=Platform/XeonPhi

give following error

CMake Error at /mcms/x86_64/core/cmake/
2.8.12.2/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/CMakeDetermineSystem.cmake:99 (message):
  Could not find toolchain file: Platform/XeonPhi
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  CMakeLists.txt:47 (project)

CMake Error: Error required internal CMake variable not set, cmake may be
not be built correctly.
Missing variable is:
CMAKE_C_COMPILER_ENV_VAR
CMake Error: Error required internal CMake variable not set, cmake may be
not be built correctly.
Missing variable is:
CMAKE_C_COMPILER
CMake Error: Could not find cmake module file:
gromacs-4.6.7/build_phi/CMakeFiles/2.8.12.2/CMakeCCompiler.cmake
CMake Error: CMAKE_C_COMPILER not set, after EnableLanguage