[gmx-users] Trouble balancing GPU/CPU force calculation load, ratio = 0.09

Szilárd Páll pall.szilard at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 22:10:01 CET 2014

Hi Jason,

Good point, separate PME ranks may very well be able to help in this
case. I typically use half of the ranks for PME with AMD CPU-based
machines (from  3-4 sockets and above).

However, based on your log file something is still not right, PME is
barely faster than with 64 OpenMP threads (59 vs 87 ms/step) and it's
most likely the lack of pinning that leads to bad performance.

Try the following:
gmx mdrun -ntmpi  16 -ntomp 4 -npme 8
gmx mdrun -ntmpi  32 -ntomp 2 -npme 16

And additionally, do try the -ddorder pp_pme option, this will bring
your PME ranks closer to each other possibly even keep them within a
socket.

Cheers,
--
Szilárd