[gmx-users] Element naming format in .pdb file

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Dec 20 15:14:58 CET 2014

On 12/20/14 12:12 AM, Rajan Kumar wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am trying to study wetting of Graphene oxide. I have prepared a structure
> file using material studio, which I will simulate in GROMACS.
>
> My structure contain some epoxy and hydroxyl functional group in Graphene
> sheet. However, the structure file generated does not differentiate between
> carbon atoms with and without functional group in the "Name" column of .pdb
> file. Also there is no differentiation in naming format of oxygen atom in
> epoxy and hydroxyl group.
>
> Since, these atoms will have different atom type in atomtype.atp file of
> force filed.(I will be using OPLS-AA for simulation). Do I have to make
> edits in .pdb file for different atomtypes as well.

To prepare the topology for this system, you need g_x2top, whose input is an
.n2t file that allows you to specify atom types based on connectivity.  This
should work fine for what you need to do.  Do not use pdb2gmx; it will not work.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore