[gmx-users] Preparing a silicon bulk

Kevin C Chan cchan2242-c at my.cityu.edu.hk
Sun Dec 21 08:52:33 CET 2014

Thanks for the reply.

I am quite new to the field of Materials so I do need someone else to find a “good” paper on parameters for a silicon surface. While I am waiting to for that, I am actually very curious that why gromos does not have such parameters and nearly all popular forcefields (for biomolecule simulations) contains silica parameters. It is strange that we even have Si-Si nonbonded parameters in gromos but no bonded ones.

In practice, it is also hard to say how my charges vary across the surface (they are just 0.X in difference). Basically I am thinking if I could generate a topology for a simple silicon bulk then I would just rewrite the [atoms] in [moleculetypes] to assign the charges. Like the follows:

[ defaults ]
; nbfunc      comb-rule    gen-pairs     fudgeLJ fudgeQQ
  1           1            no            1.0     1.0

[ atomtypes ]
;name   at.num     mass       charge      ptype      c6       c12
    SI     1      28.08      0.000         A     1.000     1.000

[ bondtypes ]
  ;i  j   func      b0     kb
  SI   SI      1   1.000  1.000

#include "gromos54a7.ff/forcefield.itp"

[ moleculetype ]
; molname     nrexcl
SIB           4

[ atoms ]
; nr   type   resnr   residue  atom  cgnr   charge  mass
   1      SI       1       SIB     SI     1     -0.10
   2      SI       1       SIB     SI     2     0.60
   3      SI       1       SIB     SI     3     -0.30
   4      SI       1       SIB     SI     4     -0.20

[ system ]
SIB in Water

[ molecules ]
SIB     1

In this way what I have to do is to plug correct numbers into [bondtypes].

Thanks in advance,

Kevin
ukevi at gmx.hk